Liberty Commons was the first completed housing project in Connecticut under a new State, Federal and private investment program to provide a supportive living environment by helping people assimilate into the community through rehabilitation. The original building was constructed in 1912 and suffered from the results of previous renovations that seriously compromised the structure. This project involved complete gutting of the interior, extensive structural repairs, new systems and new floor plans for each of the five floors. The results are 40 efficiency apartments, community rooms, laundry facilities and offices for management and counseling. The exterior was restored with new windows, masonry repairs, new roof and a new facade on Main Street.