WOLFEBORO TOWN HALL • Wolfeboro, NH

NCA restored the Wolfeboro Town Hall in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire. Boston architect James T. Kelley designed the 12,000 square-foot brick building, originally named Brewster Memorial Hall, in 1890. The Romanesque-revival landmark is regarded as one of New Hampshire’s most architecturally significant municipal buildings and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. The Town of Wolfeboro was a longtime tenant of the building and purchased the property from the Brewster Trust for $1 in 2004. The project entailed restoring the masonry and roofing, replacing the windows, rebuilding the chimney, re-designing the storefront for office use, bringing the structure up to code, and making the building more energy efficient. The scope also included restoring the Great Hall located on the second floor. Previously closed for decades, the restored Great Hall features new lighting, seating, restrooms and a kitchen. The space will be used for public meetings and community events. Securing funding posed a significant challenge and NCA assisted the Town by preparing promotional drawings and working with the Friends of Wolfeboro Town Hall to help raise over $3 million needed to restore the building. The restoration exemplifies a successful Public-Private partnership.