CENTRAL SCHOOL/PORTLAND TOWN HALL • Portland, CT

The Central School, built in 1889, had been closed for more than ten years when the Town of Portland decided to restore the historic structure to be used as its new Town Hall and Board of Education Offices.

Care was taken in the exterior restoration to install new windows with profiles that matched the existing windows, rebuilding cornices and wood trim to the same profiles, installing new roofing of a matching type and providing parking and an accessible site. Special emphasis was placed on the masonry repair to ensure that the mortar color and new brick material matched the existing to avoid the look of a “patchwork quilt.”