NCA renovated the new Lila Delman Real Estate offices located in the College Hill Historic District on South Main Street in Providence, Rhode Island. The offices are housed in an historic 18th century building that had a variety of uses over the course of 200 years. Sheldon–Mauran originally purchased the parcel in 1770. The building was […]
NCA restored the Wolfeboro Town Hall in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire. Boston architect James T. Kelley designed the 12,000 square-foot brick building, originally named Brewster Memorial Hall, in 1890. The Romanesque-revival landmark is regarded as one of New Hampshire’s most architecturally significant municipal buildings and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. […]
Noted architect Bruce Price designed the Audrain Building in Newport, Rhode Island that was constructed in 1903. The commercial building represents one of four Gilded Age buildings that form an architecturally significant block on Bellevue Avenue. The three adjoining historic buildings include the Travers Block designed by Richard Morris Hunt; the Newport Casino designed by […]
Noted architect Bruce Price designed the Audrain Building that was constructed in Newport, Rhode Island in 1903. The commercial building represents one of four Gilded Age buildings that form an architecturally significant block on Bellevue Avenue. The three adjoining historic buildings include the Travers Block designed by Richard Morris Hunt; the Newport Casino designed by […]
The Central School, built in 1889, had been closed for more than ten years when the Town of Portland decided to restore the historic structure to be used as its new Town Hall and Board of Education Offices. Care was taken in the exterior restoration to install new windows with profiles that matched the existing […]
The Florence Griswold Museum is considered the home of American Impressionism. Though a humble vernacular structure, the barn was the subject of many famous paintings. A meticulous restoration allowed for the adaptive reuse of the structure as an exhibit space focusing on garden and landscape history and as a lecture/demonstration space. NCA worked diligently to […]
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Blithewold was designed by Kilham and Hopkins in 1907–1908. The English Country Manor style home was constructed of rough stone and features steep pitched roofs with medieval style ornamentation. NCA was selected to restore this landmark museum. The first phase included extensive roofing work, and selective masonry […]
NCA restored the historic Fletcher Building. The conversion of office space to 25 900 sq. ft RISD graduate students’ work spaces fits within the Downcity Plan to help energize Providence. The restoration of the 1870 structure included removal of all non-original partitions and finishes. The project obtained tax credits and received a Preservation Award from […]
Rockry Hall was designed by Seth Bradford in 1890. A fire ravaged the mansion soon after construction. During reconstruction, a neighboring Queen Anne was moved 100 feet and angled into Rockry Hall on the northeast corner. The end product was a mixture of two periods. NCA strengthened the Gothic Revival aspects of the residential project […]
NCA was retained by the Preservation Society of Newport County to design a 1,300 square foot gift shop in the basement of Rosecliff. Architect Stanford White modeled Rosecliff after the Grand Trianon, the garden retreat of French kings at Versailles. The commerical project features modern mechanicals and period reproduction finishes that complement the Gilded Age […]
Freemasonry reached the height of its popularity in the 1920s. During that era Freemasons built monumental concert halls, libraries, and museums in cities across the nation. The Rhode Island Freemasons commissioned noted architects Osgood & Osgood to design the Veterans Memorial Auditorium as a Grand Masonic complex in 1927. The Great Depression halted construction and […]
Vernon Court was designed by Carrère and Hastings in 1898. NCA designed a set of As Built record drawings of the structure and worked with the client to obtain permitting and mechanical layouts for the National Museum of American Illustration. The French Chateau’s stucco edifice is remarkable for its monumental scale and beautiful gardens. The tall […]
Built in 1924 the neoclassical Hamden Town Hall has been nearly vacant for twenty years. NCA was retained to evaluate renovations to the historic town hall and consider the addition of a new police facility. This unique project required that the addition complement the original design, overlaid with the mandates of the Historic Commission. Of […]
The Riverfront Community Center represents Phase 1 of Glastonbury’s Riverfront Park. The design opens frontage on the Connecticut River for recreational and recycles former industrial and tank farm sites. NCA’s design reflects Glastonbury’s historical heritage and allows for future development. The 21,000SF facility offers a comprehensive program that includes classrooms, computer labs, workshops, exercise rooms, […]
NCA designed the adaptive reuse of late 19th century school in the historic District into new Board of Education Offices.
First chartered in 1788 as the Governor’s Independent Volunteer Troop of Horse Guards, the unit was composed of prominent Hartford men. NCA was selected to design a new facility for the Governor’s Horse Guard. The new facility features offices, lockers, full kitchen and enclosed mounted drill area.
Noted 19th century architect Daniel Burnham left an indelible mark on the built environment when he proclaimed, “Make no little plans.” However, today’s worldwide urban housing shortage forces city planners and architects to think little, very little. 200 to 400 square-foot micro-lofts are the next big housing trend in the United Kingdom, Poland, China, and […]
NCA converted the former YMCA into a housing and social service center. The multi-family plan for 60,000 square feet building created an 18-unit emergency shelter, 12-unit transitional housing, 70-unit single-room occupancy, 15-unit efficiencies, and 23 one-bedroom apartments. The project earned the Rhode Island Historical Preservation & Commission Preservation Award and HUD Affordable Housing Award.
The historic residence was designed by George Champlin Mason in 1885. NCA reconfigured the floor plan to accommodate a gourmet kitchen, breakfast nook, and pantry. The fireplace was rebuilt as a raised cooking hearth that also functions as the focal point of the residential space. The coffered ceiling was designed to line-up with the existing […]
Richard Morris Hunt, the Dean of American Architecture, designed Le Chalet on Bellevue Avenue in Newport in 1870. Hunt chose the Stick Style for the 9,700 square-foot summer cottage after garnering significant attention for his Stick Style design of the Griswold House, now the NewportArt Museum. Hunt’s original plans for Le Chalet called for an […]
Noted architect George B. Post designed the residence on Bellevue Avenue in 1879. NCA restored the landmark by reconstructing the veranda and reconfiguring the east elevation to accommodate a family room and study. The team also recreated the original crimson, green and taupe palette hidden beneath layers of white paint. The residential project earned Newport […]
NCA orchestrated the Old Town Hall’s exterior and structural restoration. The project entailed the rehabilitation of interior structural framing, exterior masonry walls, window panels, doors, new roofing and gutters, flashing and downspouts, and a site storm water drainage system.
NCA transformed the historic 1909 structure into a boutique hotel. Significant spaces, details, and finishes of historic importance were restored. NCA also expanded the hotel by adding a conservatory, enclosed courtyard with pool, rooftop deck and additional level that created a contrast between public rooms and guest suites. The commercial project received the Newport Historical […]
Southeast Lighthouse was built in 1875. The 1938 hurricane severely damaged the lighthouse and by the 1990’s the National Trust for Historic Preservation named the landmark one of America’s most endangered structures. NCA restored the keeper’s house by replacing all windows and doors, repointing and cleaning masonry, and installing mechanical, plumbing, electrical and fire protection […]
NCA designed the adaptive reuse of the historic mill, 32-acre site, and areas on both sides of a canal along the Branch River. The plan created 222 multi-family units with health facilities, media room, gallery recording the mill’s history. The project earned Rhode Island Historical Preservation & Heritage Commission’s Historic Preservation Award, AIA/RI’s Adaptive Reuse/Renovation Merit […]
Rose Island Lighthouse was built in 1870. The Rose Island Lighthouse Foundation was organized in 1984 to restore and operate the lighthouse. NCA volunteered its services to restore the maritime landmark. The project entailed restoring the century-old keeper’s quarters and creating a living museum. The project earned Rhode Island Historical Preservation & Heritage Commission Preservation […]
Rhode Island Credit Union’s headquarters serves as a gateway to Providence’s Capital Center. NCA designed a neoclassical granite and limestone commercial structure fashioned from the existing building’s footprint. A new landscape plan featuring a gated entrance to the parking area and raised sculpture garden buffers parking and pedestrian access and enhances the classical architecture. The […]
The Dr. Reuben Mason House is hailed as one of Rhode Island’s few surviving early 18th century farmhouses. NCA conducted an existing conditions report that found the original structure intact and retaining many original features including interior finishes, doors and hardware. NCA determined the period windows’ original size and locations and reconfigured them to their […]
NCA transformed a 19th century school building situated in the heart of Newport’s historic Point District into a luxury multi-family development. Adhering to the Federal and State Historic Tax Credit guidelines, the design team maintained the building’s historic character and adapted the three-story structure to accommodate several, one, two, and three-bedroom units with modern amenities.
NCA restored the church designed by Pietro Belluschi in 1960. The project reinforced the structure, refurbished the 60’ spire, improved energy efficiency, and added chandeliers without altering Belluschi’s aesthetic. Extensive water damage warranted that all 136 of the 28’ clerestory frames be replaced with old growth timber. To ensure the original glass pattern was not […]
Fort Adams is among the nation’s largest coastal fortifications. NCA orchestrated over $6 million of work including master plans, site/safety improvements, interpretive museum facilities and restoration of the earthen ramparts, green roof, north casements, youth barracks and redoubt/jail. The restoration of the redoubt/jail included many sustainable design elements. The project earned the Doris Duke Preservation […]
To help transform the historic 1850 residence into a mixed-use facility, NCA designed a dormitory entrance and glass entry on the east façade for use by students living on the upper levels. NCA also adapted the mansion’s formal first-floor rooms to be used as classrooms. The project received an Historic Preservation Award from the Newport […]
NCA’s adaptive reuse of a bank enhanced the secondary entrance with an entablature modeled after the main entrance and replaced the drive-up teller window with period windows. The 40-ton safe was removed and the cast iron encasement was moved to the reception area. Glass walls form conference rooms flanking the reconstructed vault. The commercial restoration project […]
NCA conducted a conditions assessment for the 1847 lighthouse followed by any required preservation work. NCA set about an approach to retain all historic materials wherever possible. Important architectural features and elements of the building that should have been conserved and those that could have been replaced or modified were identified. All the damaged or […]
NCA restored the historic 1899 lighthouse. The project entailed removing 52 tons of guano, stripping rust, applying marine coatings, repairing the cracked caisson and restoring windows, doors, railings, columns and lantern. The exterior was painted to replicate the original colors and rip rap was reinforced. The project earned Rhode Island Historical Preservation & Heritage Commission […]
Perry Mill was built in 1835. The landmark with open floor plans, large windows, and solid masonry construction, was among the first to be successfully adapted for mixed use. NCA transformed the mill into a timeshare resort featuring 36 suites, and commercial space for restaurant, nightclub and retail arcade. The plan called for reconstructing the […]
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Pelham Court was built in the 1870’s. The building was slated for demolition in the 1980s. NCA won a design competition and restored the building to house commercial space. NCA later converted the building into eight luxury suites. A new structure and courtyard were added. The addition […]
NCA created an addition for the 1760 Georgian mansion that allowed the inn to expand from nine to eighteen guestrooms. NCA also designed a parterre with an enclosed museum-style courtyard and central fountain. The new rooms are situated in two symmetrical pavilions that frame the private courtyard. The project received the AIA/RI People’s Choice Award.
NCA transformed the historic DeWolf’s Wharf into a boutique-hotel, restaurants, retail shops, apartments, dock accommodations, and pedestrian paths. Bristol Harbor Inn features 40 guestrooms, spa, and conference rooms. The waterfront revitalization project received the Bristol Historic Commission Award, RI Historical Preservation & Heritage Commission Preservation Award, AIA/RI Merit Award, and Phoenix Award for responsible action […]
NCA designed an adaptive reuse plan for the International Yacht Restoration School at Aquidneck Mill, which servesas IYRS’ 2.5 acre waterfront campus. NCA created programming space for yacht restoration and boat building, maritime research library, and 15,000 square feet of commercial office space dedicated to the marine trades. Aquidneck Mill earned the Doris Duke Historic […]
Constructed in 1867, Ashton Mill was transformed into lofts with river and parkland views. Forest City retained NCA for the adaptive re-use multi-family project that features 193 one-and two-bedroom apartments. Other amenities include an outdoor pavilion, community room, fitness center, billiards room, catering kitchen and business center. The restoration project earned the Rhode Island Historical Preservation […]
NCA has been designing solutions for over 30 years. Our diverse portfolio includes many project types such as residential
, commercial, sustainable, master plans, restoration, adaptive reuse, multi-family, boutique hotels, learning environments, municipal buildings, museums, and theaters. Please use this search feature to filter the portfolio - simply insert a project name, location or project type.