NCA worked with the City of Middletown and The Connection to rescue, relocate and repurpose a Greek Revival structure. By moving the period home to a city-owned parcel, Middletown’s gateway was enhanced. NCA also found a home for the KID CITY museum. Northeast Utilities’ public service campaign highlighted the museum’s geothermal heating system and generated […]
NCA restored and expanded the 1928 theater. The stage house, lobby, arcade, proscenium, wall, ceiling and loge were restored. Seating, carpeting, wiring, and fire escapes were replaced. A chandelier was designed for the main dome. A rare organ was installed. A sound system, computerized HVAC system, sprinklers, smoke detection equipment and lobby audiovisual equipment were […]
NCA designed a worship center for Christ Church. An octagonal narthex rising from a masonry base lifts it spire as an invitation for worship. The heavy timber construction enhances the structure’s character. The upper level features a worship hall that seats 250. The lower level houses classrooms, offices, and nursery. The project received a National […]
NCA was enlisted to renovate the hotel and transform 60 guest rooms with shared bathrooms into 45 suites with private baths. The design called for recapturing the hotel’s Victorian style by reusing period furnishings, as well as restructuring the upper floor, reconstructing the cupola, replacing windows and shutters and rebuilding the original covered porch. NCA […]
NCA designed the private residential project located at Carnegie Abbey to maximize sweeping bay views and follow the sun pattern so spaces are naturally lighted throughout the day. Acknowledging the resort’s architecture, the house imbues Shingle, Stick and Adirondack styles. The exterior is distinguished by a colonnade and covered porches. The open interior plan boasts intimate […]
Church Community Housing enlisted NCA to convert the historic school into 34 senior housing units. CCHC retained NCA for a second project that involved restoring the original windows, re-pointing the brick exterior, upgrading the heating, electrical and fire protection systems, and replacing the roof. Solar photovoltaic panels were installed on the roof and generate 20% […]
Valley Affordable Housing and Newport Housing Authority selected NCA to design Phase IV of the Newport Heights public housing. The project represents an ambitious revitalization plan for Newport’s urban North End neighborhood. Phase IV is comprised of 44 affordable-housing units. The multi-family buildings resemble single-family homes and have been strategically placed to create a pedestrian-friendly […]
The Blue Dory is a quaint inn adjacent to Block Island’s Old Harbor. NCA designed the rehabilitation of this turn-of-the-century structure, returning the architectural detail to the Victorian style. The commercial property consists of an 11 room bed and breakfast, with three smaller cottages renovated as additional guest quarters.
Noted architect Bruce Price designed the Audrain Building in Newport, Rhode Island that was constructed in 1903. The commercial building represents one of four Gilded Age buildings that form an architecturally significant block on Bellevue Avenue. The three adjoining historic buildings include the Travers Block designed by Richard Morris Hunt; the Newport Casino designed by […]
NCA conducted a conditions assessment for the 1847 lighthouse followed by any required preservation work. NCA set about an approach to retain all historic materials wherever possible. Important architectural features and elements of the building that should have been conserved and those that could have been replaced or modified were identified. All the damaged or […]
Connecticut’s smallest town needed significant improvements to their Pre-K to Grade 8 facility. NCA used their educational expertise to facilitate a design that met Voluntown’s goals on several levels and resulted in a unified design experience. The programmatic goal was to segregate the educational components into three communities: pre-K-grade 1, grades 2-5, and grades 6-8. […]
Located in Newport’s historic Kay Street District, the residential project required a new formal entry, dining room and family room. NCA redefined the exterior with a classically inspired portico and stone patio. Interior improvements included a remodeled kitchen and study, a new dining room accentuated by a cove ceiling and a media center distinguished by a fieldstone […]
NCA transformed the 1876 property into a boutique hotel. The design replicated the original porch, replaced the roof and windows, and reconfigured the first floor to accommodate a new commercial kitchen, reception area, and office. 12 guest suites were remodeled with gas fireplaces and spa bathrooms. The parking was reorganized and two-thirds of the yard […]
NCA’s restored the 1874 landmark by replicating the tower, replacing siding, rescuing original windows, installing shutters, replacing chimneys, and installing a cedar roof with copper gutters and roof ridge cresting. The boutique hotel’s interior project involved restoring the tower and reconfiguring the first-floor commercial kitchen, lobby, bar, and dining rooms. The restoration project earned RI/AIA […]
The Central School, built in 1889, had been closed for more than ten years when the Town of Portland decided to restore the historic structure to be used as its new Town Hall and Board of Education Offices. Care was taken in the exterior restoration to install new windows with profiles that matched the existing […]
NCA transformed the historic 1909 structure into a boutique hotel. Significant spaces, details, and finishes of historic importance were restored. NCA also expanded the hotel by adding a conservatory, enclosed courtyard with pool, rooftop deck and additional level that created a contrast between public rooms and guest suites. The commercial project received the Newport Historical […]
NCA worked on programmatic revisions required to modify and expand several existing components of the relatively new middle school. In particular, enhancements in the science program and the expansion of the Cafeteria and food service areas mandated additions and renovations to the existing building.
NCA designed the Boston Golf Clubhouse. Gables, roof overhangs, rafter tails and clapboards reflect Adirondack style. Foundation, chimneys and battered stone walls lend an organic aesthetic. Asymmetrical pavilions separate programming and socializing spaces. The bag drop, pro shop, offices and locker rooms occupy one building, while the commercial kitchen, bar, grill room, pool room, porch […]
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Blithewold was designed by Kilham and Hopkins in 1907–1908. The English Country Manor style home was constructed of rough stone and features steep pitched roofs with medieval style ornamentation. NCA was selected to restore this landmark museum. The first phase included extensive roofing work, and selective masonry […]
NCA’s adaptive reuse of a bank enhanced the secondary entrance with an entablature modeled after the main entrance and replaced the drive-up teller window with period windows. The 40-ton safe was removed and the cast iron encasement was moved to the reception area. Glass walls form conference rooms flanking the reconstructed vault. The commercial restoration project […]
The Recession prescribed stress tests for our public educational system. Municipalities across the nation are identifying schools’ strengths and weaknesses. Education decision makers in pre-K to 12 are focusing on design guidelines and building strategies that create compelling, functional, and innovative learning environments on a budget. Connecticut has a unique reimbursable classification know as Renovate-as-New that […]
By adding 33,000SF and renovating 27,000SF NCA created a state-of-the-art intermediate school with a welcoming entry and facilities scaled to young children. Gabled forms reflect the neighborhood’s agrarian context and house the administration office, media center, and renovated cafetorium signified by a clerestory at the intersection. New facilities include a gymnasium, music room, art room, […]
Providence Country Day School faced renovation needs, hoped to attract more students and was positioned to fulfill a plan to unify the campus separated by a major roadway. NCA proposed a bold solution – move the campus. This design solution housed students in multiple buildings arranged around a quad campus configuration – more suitable for […]
NCA was retained to renovate the Belvedere Hotel built by John Brown Herreshoff in 1901. The historic landmark features 14 upscale residences that blend 19th century architectural elements with modern energy efficient systems. Panoramic views of Bristol’s quaint town and harbor work in tandem with open floor plans, high ceilings, fireplaces and high quality finishes […]
NCA was retained by the Preservation Society of Newport County to design a 1,300 square foot gift shop in the basement of Rosecliff. Architect Stanford White modeled Rosecliff after the Grand Trianon, the garden retreat of French kings at Versailles. The commerical project features modern mechanicals and period reproduction finishes that complement the Gilded Age […]
Dismal enrollment and budgetary woes worked in tandem to close J.M. Wright Technical High School in Stamford, Connecticut in 2009. In the ensuing years the design team worked closely with the Connecticut Technical High School System to create a unique and rigorous learning environment that combines academics with various trade programs. The schools within the […]
NCA has designed the Newport Health Center incorporating sustainable elements, with the goal of achieving LEED Silver Certified at the completion of this project. The new building is designed to complement the adjacent early learning center we completed on the site, make a strong presence for the new faculties and meet our client’s strict budget […]
Out to Sea is a private residential project located at Carnegie Abbey. NCA designed the Shingle Style home to maximize views of Narragansett Bay and acknowledge the Adirondack-style of the neighboring golf resort. The exterior features verandas, covered porches, floating mahogany roof deck hidden between gables and roof peaks and a solid mahogany front entry […]
200-120 210-260 200-310 SY0-401 810-403 300-320 400-101 70-533 N10-006 MB2-707 210-060 400-201 350-018 ADM-201 CISSP 1Z0-060 400-051 300-075 MB2-704 100-101 100-101 9L0-012 642-999 300-115 MB5-705 70-461 1V0-601 300-206 […]
RIDOT engaged NCA to collaborate with Commonwealth Engineers & Consultants, Inc., Ventrone Architecture, Abernathy Lighting Design and the Pawtucket Mayor’s Bridge Design Committee to develop a new design for Interstate 95 Bridge Number 550. Native Americans call the place where trails meet to cross a river Pawtucket. During the 18th Century settlers crossed the Pawtucket River […]
NCA designed the Golf House for a links-style course on a 500-acre parcel beside Narragansett Bay. The Adirondack-style resort features bracketed towers, timber trusses, and roof overhangs. The interior includes a great hall, dining areas, commercial kitchen, spa, and 22 member accommodations. The projected earned the Preserve RI Award, Rhode Island Monthly Design Award, and […]
NCA designed the addition that incorporates 6,000 square feet of additional classrooms and a new administrative wing. The design includes a new elevator and handicap ramp. Renovations to the existing granite Romanesque style church built in 1895 include a fully addressable fire alarm system, egress enhancements, roofing and copper work, meeting rooms, restrooms, columbarium, new finishes […]
NCA restored the historic Fletcher Building. The conversion of office space to 25 900 sq. ft RISD graduate students’ work spaces fits within the Downcity Plan to help energize Providence. The restoration of the 1870 structure included removal of all non-original partitions and finishes. The project obtained tax credits and received a Preservation Award from […]
NCA produced an existing conditions assessment for the 1887 Tudor Revival and restored the slate roof and other original details. The restoration project included replacing flashing, deteriorated substructure, trim, cornices, spires and skylights. All architectural elements were restored or replicated. The project earned AIA-RI’s Honor Award for Preservation and Rhode Island Historic Preservation and Historic Commission’s […]
Fort Adams is among the nation’s largest coastal fortifications. NCA orchestrated over $6 million of work including master plans, site/safety improvements, interpretive museum facilities and restoration of the earthen ramparts, green roof, north casements, youth barracks and redoubt/jail. The restoration of the redoubt/jail included many sustainable design elements. The project earned the Doris Duke Preservation […]
NCA designed the adaptive reuse of the historic mill, 32-acre site, and areas on both sides of a canal along the Branch River. The plan created 222 multi-family units with health facilities, media room, gallery recording the mill’s history. The project earned Rhode Island Historical Preservation & Heritage Commission’s Historic Preservation Award, AIA/RI’s Adaptive Reuse/Renovation Merit […]
Originally constructed in 1954, Memorial Student Union served as University of Rhode Island’s center for student life. NCA designed a new façade, additional space, and landscape plan that unified the complex. The new exterior features brick, scored masonry, colored tiles and URI Blue windows. The additions form an edifice with a clock tower that distinguishes […]
NCA restored the historic 1899 lighthouse. The project entailed removing 52 tons of guano, stripping rust, applying marine coatings, repairing the cracked caisson and restoring windows, doors, railings, columns and lantern. The exterior was painted to replicate the original colors and rip rap was reinforced. The project earned Rhode Island Historical Preservation & Heritage Commission […]
NCA transformed a 3,000 square-foot stucco residential structure into a 3,700 square foot Shingle Style home that included a new master suite, guest rooms with private bathrooms, look-out tower, kitchen, two-bay garage and second-floor laundry room. The design/build team also upgraded the home’s architectural integrity by installing multi-paned windows, French doors, balconies, moulding, millwork, custom […]
NCA designed a new kitchen capable of producing 6,000 meals per day, a new addition of 312 high security cells and renovations and expansion to the visitor’s center. A new Housing Unit Control Room functions as an internal Central Control for the new Housing Unit and controls inmate movement through the Main Corridor.
NCA transformed a 19th century school building situated in the heart of Newport’s historic Point District into a luxury multi-family development. Adhering to the Federal and State Historic Tax Credit guidelines, the design team maintained the building’s historic character and adapted the three-story structure to accommodate several, one, two, and three-bedroom units with modern amenities.
Designing a modern facility that enhances Keene, NH’s historic context posed the greatest challenge. NCA’s solution recalls the city’s architecture of the 1920s and 1930s. Masonry details, corbelling, inset masonry panels, windows and trim reflect the era so the building melds into the eclectic neighborhood. The 26,000 square-foot building is set on an L-shaped parcel […]
NCA designed a new academic facility for that is very specific to the charter school’s curriculum. Classrooms accommodate mixed classes comprised of three grade levels and maximize available light with day lighting and glass exposure. The LEED registered project incorporates many Green initiatives including energy- efficient heating, cooling and lighting elements, as well as sustainable […]
Two early 20th century three-story buildings in disrepair were saved from the wrecking ball when NCA designed their adaptive reuse as supportive housing for 20 veterans with special needs. The exterior shells were retained while a new building was inserted inside. The two buildings were joined by an addition that became the lobby, elevator access […]
Noted architect George B. Post designed the residence on Bellevue Avenue in 1879. NCA restored the landmark by reconstructing the veranda and reconfiguring the east elevation to accommodate a family room and study. The team also recreated the original crimson, green and taupe palette hidden beneath layers of white paint. The residential project earned Newport […]
NCA led the team that created a comprehensive plan for additions and renovations. Of critical importance was adding large, modern facilities to support music, arts and science programs. Renovations included creating new science rooms and completely updating the auditorium. Controlled public entrances were created to separate public and school traffic. A new entrance isolates entry […]
NCA designed an adaptive reuse plan for the International Yacht Restoration School at Aquidneck Mill, which servesas IYRS’ 2.5 acre waterfront campus. NCA created programming space for yacht restoration and boat building, maritime research library, and 15,000 square feet of commercial office space dedicated to the marine trades. Aquidneck Mill earned the Doris Duke Historic […]
Two carriage houses and stables from separate Gilded Age mansions were united to form the Antone Academic Center for Culture and the Arts at Salve Regina University. NCA adapted the building for modern use while preserving the 19th century historic character. The center houses a new 150-seat lecture hall, gallery, dance studio, black box theatre, […]
Treetops is a Shingle Style house built in the 1900’s on a 37-acre site overlooking Aponnnagansett Harbor. NCA doubled the residential project’s size and retained a period look. Additional living spaces include four bedrooms, three bathrooms, kitchen, breakfast room, sunroom, and study. A massing design solution balances the house off the main existing octagonal entry bay with […]
To help transform the historic 1850 residence into a mixed-use facility, NCA designed a dormitory entrance and glass entry on the east façade for use by students living on the upper levels. NCA also adapted the mansion’s formal first-floor rooms to be used as classrooms. The project received an Historic Preservation Award from the Newport […]
Southeast Lighthouse was built in 1875. The 1938 hurricane severely damaged the lighthouse and by the 1990’s the National Trust for Historic Preservation named the landmark one of America’s most endangered structures. NCA restored the keeper’s house by replacing all windows and doors, repointing and cleaning masonry, and installing mechanical, plumbing, electrical and fire protection […]
NCA designed a new home in a family compound situated in the heart of Newport’s Ocean Drive Historic District. The central part of the residential project is primarily wetlands, though a small parcel was suitable for a structure with a small footprint. The larger structure houses the kitchen and master bedroom, while the smaller structure is […]
NCA designed Exclusive Resorts at Carnegie Abbey to have residential scale combined with services and amenities of a luxury resort. The enclave of Shingle Style homes feature open floor plans dual-hearth stone fireplaces, dining rooms, living rooms, media rooms, as well as four-bedroom and four-and-a-half-baths. And screened porches and private lap pools define the outdoor […]
Noted 19th century architect Daniel Burnham left an indelible mark on the built environment when he proclaimed, “Make no little plans.” However, today’s worldwide urban housing shortage forces city planners and architects to think little, very little. 200 to 400 square-foot micro-lofts are the next big housing trend in the United Kingdom, Poland, China, and […]
Freemasonry reached the height of its popularity in the 1920s. During that era Freemasons built monumental concert halls, libraries, and museums in cities across the nation. The Rhode Island Freemasons commissioned noted architects Osgood & Osgood to design the Veterans Memorial Auditorium as a Grand Masonic complex in 1927. The Great Depression halted construction and […]
The existing nine-acre site posed serious restrictions on the renovation and expansion of the existing 19,000 SF Elementary School to create a virtually new 60,000 SF Intermediate School for grades 3-6. This limitation encouraged the use of a semi-circular form, reminiscent of a carousel, to use the site to its fullest potential. NCA’s design tripled […]
NCA converted the historic John Clarke School into elderly housing. The design followed Federal and State Historic Tax guidelines to retain the historic character of the brick exterior and wide central hallways. Classrooms were reconfigured to accommodate 56 units and community rooms. The rooftop addition blends with early 20th century architecture and provides panoramic views […]
The Old Colony Co-Operative Bank was constructed in 1926. In 1993 the lobby was converted into St. Francis Chapel and the upper floors became offices and dorms. NCA converted the structure into a Hampton Inn & Suites. The commercial project included renovating the 50,000 square-foot, 11-story St. Francis Chapel and constructing a new 10-story, 27,000 […]
The new 17, 000 square-foot Parish Hall establishes an axial relationship with the church to create a consolidated campus. The new building cuts into the hill to take advantage of the grade. Column-free multipurpose space for services and events is on the main level and classrooms that open to a courtyard are on the lower […]
NCA designed a new entry and media center. A gabled entry with classical columns was successfully married with the contemporary building form to articulate the entrance and create a lively media experience.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Pelham Court was built in the 1870’s. The building was slated for demolition in the 1980s. NCA won a design competition and restored the building to house commercial space. NCA later converted the building into eight luxury suites. A new structure and courtyard were added. The addition […]
NCA created a new 186-student dormitory with an administration wing and renovated the adjoining 200-student dormitory in Miley Hall. Walgreen Hall serves as the signature entrance to Salve Regina University and is located on the corner of Narragansett and Ochre Point avenues. Walgreen Hall accommodates first-year students in suite-style living arrangements and also contains a […]
Fall River Energy Enterprise (FREE) is a collaborative effort led by NCA, Mayor Robert Correia, and the Fall River Office of Economic Development. This vision plan is designed to position Fall River, Mass. as a regional leader in renewable energy, attract new business, create jobs, and make the city greener and less dependent on fossil […]
The new 24,700 square-foot library sits on a former 19th century mill complex beside the Clear River and represents Phase II of the Stillwater Mill Master Plan. Blending architecture with industrial surroundings, mastering the technological needs of a modern library, and allowing for 20% future growth presented the greatest challenges. The project earned Rhode Island […]
NCA is designing a new 24,000 square foot facility for the Allied Health and Veterinary programs at NWCC. The location of the new building at the highway exit ramp to Winsted will create a gateway for the College while complementing its architectural heritage. Working with consultants from BVH Integrated Services and daSilva Associates, NCA achieves […]
NCA created a Shingle Style community college that honors Newport’s heritage. The building features an iconic cylindrical form flanked by linear buildings. The drum situated at the northeast corner houses a 250-seat lecture hall. The south linear building contains classrooms, laboratories and offices. The north linear building features admissions, computer laboratories and library. An atrium occupies the […]
NCA collaborated with Solidus in a design/build team to develop this new interior project for the creative and administrative offices of an industrial / packaging design firm. We capitalized on the top floor location and the client’s willingness to break the corporate mold to make a feature of the open industrial ceilings. 200-120 210-260 […]
NCA restored the church designed by Pietro Belluschi in 1960. The project reinforced the structure, refurbished the 60’ spire, improved energy efficiency, and added chandeliers without altering Belluschi’s aesthetic. Extensive water damage warranted that all 136 of the 28’ clerestory frames be replaced with old growth timber. To ensure the original glass pattern was not […]
NCA designed a foyer that serves as a fitting invitation to the beauty within the elegant turn-of-the-century home. A coral, sage, ivory and crimson color palette imbues the residential space with Old World style. NCA’s design enhanced the foyer’s architectural integrity and created a seamless connection with adjoining living spaces. 200-120 210-260 200-310 […]
Rockry Hall was designed by Seth Bradford in 1890. A fire ravaged the mansion soon after construction. During reconstruction, a neighboring Queen Anne was moved 100 feet and angled into Rockry Hall on the northeast corner. The end product was a mixture of two periods. NCA strengthened the Gothic Revival aspects of the residential project […]
Constructed in 1867, Ashton Mill was transformed into lofts with river and parkland views. Forest City retained NCA for the adaptive re-use multi-family project that features 193 one-and two-bedroom apartments. Other amenities include an outdoor pavilion, community room, fitness center, billiards room, catering kitchen and business center. The restoration project earned the Rhode Island Historical Preservation […]
When KODA needed a new location for their corporate headquarters, they enlisted the design team to transform 3,000 square-feet of commercial space into a current, sophisticated style representative of the company’s international aesthetic. The design challenge was to reconfigure the existing floor plan to accommodate a new reception area with glass walls, conference room with […]
NCA designed the new cafeteria at Central Falls High School that seats 248 students and offers new audio visual and data capabilities to allow the space to also function as a presentation space and study hall. Other improvements include a new servery and kitchen, sprinklers, new acoustical finishes, flooring and new lighting.
NCA designed the interior renovations for three existing harbor-front multi-family buildings at Brown & Howard Wharf. The concept was to offer residential units for sale after the core and shell were complete but prior to build out. The traditional style imbues classic New England design elements and the transitional style draws inspiration from the sea and Newport’s […]
When the Secretary of State visited Newport, Rhode Island in 1790, Touro Synagogue was among the classical buildings from which he drew inspiration. Secretary Thomas Jefferson admired Peter Harrison’s 1763 design replete with portico entry, arched windows, metalwork, balustrades, English paneling and ionic columns. Touro Synagogue remains the oldest extant synagogue in the country and […]
Mater Ecclesiae is a private Roman Catholic College that was founded in Wakefield, Rhode Island 1991. In 1998, the institution relocated its campus to Greenville, RI on the site of the former St. Aloysius Orphanage. To meet the criteria for Accreditation, Mater Ecclesiae needed to build a new library that would house 50,000 volumes and […]
NCA converted the former YMCA into a housing and social service center. The multi-family plan for 60,000 square feet building created an 18-unit emergency shelter, 12-unit transitional housing, 70-unit single-room occupancy, 15-unit efficiencies, and 23 one-bedroom apartments. The project earned the Rhode Island Historical Preservation & Commission Preservation Award and HUD Affordable Housing Award.
NCA evaluated the possibilities for the reuse of the former 1930’s high school. The decision was made to convert the structure to new facilities for the Town Hall and Recreation Department. A large addition was removed to make way for a new addition with a community gymnasium and running track. The entire existing facility was […]
The historic residence was designed by George Champlin Mason in 1885. NCA reconfigured the floor plan to accommodate a gourmet kitchen, breakfast nook, and pantry. The fireplace was rebuilt as a raised cooking hearth that also functions as the focal point of the residential space. The coffered ceiling was designed to line-up with the existing […]
The Girl Scouts of Rhode Island enlisted NCA to renovate their camp facility in Newport, RI. The project entailed restoring the historic lodge and building adjoining facilities to meet new space requirements. NCA’s incorporated series of L-shaped pavilions and verandas that joined the restored lodge with newer buildings. Updated amenities include a bunk area, dining […]
Established in 1875, the Hope Club was chartered by the state of Rhode Island in 1876 and is hailed as one of the oldest social clubs in America. The landmark is located on the Renaissance City’s Mile of History. NCA designed eight new suites on the third and fourth floors. The project entailed restoring period elements […]
As part of the replacement program for I-195, one third of the existing 1930 concrete arch bridge and former highway was preserved, restored, and rededicated as a pedestrian park that acts as the Providence terminus of the East Bay Bike Path. NCA’s design includes the restoration of the original granite drawbridge operator’s house, bronze flagpole […]
NCA orchestrated the Old Town Hall’s exterior and structural restoration. The project entailed the rehabilitation of interior structural framing, exterior masonry walls, window panels, doors, new roofing and gutters, flashing and downspouts, and a site storm water drainage system.
NCA restored the Wolfeboro Town Hall in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire. Boston architect James T. Kelley designed the 12,000 square-foot brick building, originally named Brewster Memorial Hall, in 1890. The Romanesque-revival landmark is regarded as one of New Hampshire’s most architecturally significant municipal buildings and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. […]
NCA designed the Pre-K through grade eight campus on an historic 20-acre farm. The setting inspired the design team to create a 40,000 square foot learning environment that recalls the site’s agrarian heritage. The design features two wings connected by an enclosed walkway and dramatic staircase housed in a farm silo. The two-story classroom wings are distinguished […]
NCA designed the hotel that was comprised of three attached buildings set in National Register of Historic Places neighborhood. NCA’s plan included 80 guestrooms, 150-seat restaurant, 2000 square foot ballroom and conference rooms. The project received Rhode Island Historical Preservation & Heritage Commission Award, Rhode Island Monthly Design Award, Preserve RI Award and Yankee Magazine Editor’s […]
RIDOT enlisted Northeast Collaborative Architects, Commonwealth Engineers & Consultants, Inc., Parsons Brinckerhoff and Ventrone Architects to design the new Sakonnet River Bridge. The new bridge replaces a deteriorated steel span built in the 1950s. The new concrete and steel replacement carries Route 24 between Tiverton and Portsmouth. The new bridge is 2,265 feet long and […]
NCA designed the 71-unit Shingle Style timeshare boutique hotel located along Newport’s historic waterfront. NCA also created a private courtyard by placing a single-story linear building by the sidewalk. The courtyard houses an indoor/outdoor pool with adjoining deck and hot tubs, gazebo, and tournament contoured croquet court. The project received an AIA/RI Design Awardand an […]
Rose Island Lighthouse was built in 1870. The Rose Island Lighthouse Foundation was organized in 1984 to restore and operate the lighthouse. NCA volunteered its services to restore the maritime landmark. The project entailed restoring the century-old keeper’s quarters and creating a living museum. The project earned Rhode Island Historical Preservation & Heritage Commission Preservation […]
Ralph Adams Cram designed Harbour Court’s main house, carriage house and related structures in 1900. The New York Yacht Club acquired the property in 1987. NCA designed boat storage and maintenance structures that blend into the historic context. The facilities echo the style of the estate’s original carriage barn, feature drive-through access, and complement the […]
A fixture on Main Street in Middletown, O’Rourke’s was seriously damaged in a fire. The owner had no insurance but the community rallied around and worked with him to renovate and refit the diner. The NCA team researched historic documentation for the commercial project and recreated the diner with period details.
NCA created a three-story facility within the envelope of the barn. The building acts as a transition between farm buildings and the campus designed by Pietro Belluschi in the 1950s. An art gallery, ceramics studio, classrooms, and outdoor terrace occupy the main level. A photo laboratory and two classrooms comprise the lower level. And painting […]
The Florence Griswold Museum is considered the home of American Impressionism. Though a humble vernacular structure, the barn was the subject of many famous paintings. A meticulous restoration allowed for the adaptive reuse of the structure as an exhibit space focusing on garden and landscape history and as a lecture/demonstration space. NCA worked diligently to […]
NCA transformed the historic DeWolf’s Wharf into a boutique-hotel, restaurants, retail shops, apartments, dock accommodations, and pedestrian paths. Bristol Harbor Inn features 40 guestrooms, spa, and conference rooms. The waterfront revitalization project received the Bristol Historic Commission Award, RI Historical Preservation & Heritage Commission Preservation Award, AIA/RI Merit Award, and Phoenix Award for responsible action […]
NCA designed a 106-room Marriott Fairfield Inn and Suites hotel in the heart of New Bedford’s historic waterfront. The five-story commercial project incorporates Baker-Robinson Oil Works, a granite structure that used to be a whale oil refinery. The hotel’s façade combines brick, granite and wood. The Baker-Robinson Oil Works was most likely built 1837-1838 and is […]
NCA designed the Boathouse Restaurant, which is situated in Waterplace Park on the Woonasquatucket River. The commercial project has an interior that is finished with fine paneling and woodwork and decorated with nautical antiques and photography. Each of three levels has its own outdoor balcony overlooking the water below.
NCA created an adaptive reuse of the historic Shingle Style home into ten multi-family units. The design team also added a new wing, porches and gables to create a seamless connection between 19th century rehabilitation and new 21st century design. A sustainable geo-thermal system heats and cools the residential project.
NCA designed a cafeteria addition and related site work. The project entailed converting existing seating areas in the auditorium to music classrooms, adding sound and lighting systems, transforming a mini-gym to a health classroom and physical therapy/exercise room, adding five classrooms, and updating the reception and office area. Renovations to the media center include the […]
NCA expanded the four-season Berkshires resort in three phases. In keeping with the village context, NCA doubled the size of the commercial project by adding a health club, indoor and outdoor swimming pool and youth ski program facilities. Enhancements to the existing boutique hotel include a new fireplace, elevator, laundry room, locker facilities, and automatic door […]
NCA created an addition for the 1760 Georgian mansion that allowed the inn to expand from nine to eighteen guestrooms. NCA also designed a parterre with an enclosed museum-style courtyard and central fountain. The new rooms are situated in two symmetrical pavilions that frame the private courtyard. The project received the AIA/RI People’s Choice Award.
Hilltop was built as a single family residence in 1903. The early 20th century architecture features Craftsman-style stucco siding, exposed rafters, hipped roof forms and multi-paned windows. Coffered ceilings, handsome millwork and stained glass distinguish the interior. NCA converted the residence into an inn with five suites, greenhouse, dining room, living room and library. The […]
Noted architects Ballantyne and Olson designed Nearsea, a French provincial style villa in 1937. NCA renovated the home that is located in the environmentally and historically sensitive area of Newport’s Ocean Avenue district. The team also designed a sympathetic addition that features a swimming pool, 1,500 square-foot deck and pool house/ guest house.
NCA designed the 3,500 square feet loft. To define the spaces in the residential project, a diagonal line was drawn along the back third of the loft to divide general living areas. Private spaces were defined on the south side of the line. The remaining two-thirds of the space are an open plan. The demarcation […]
NCA was charged with taking a closed 150,000 square foot regional grocery distribution center and converting it into an Emergency Services Facilities Complex for the City of Keene, New Hampshire. NCA created a visually exciting, contemporary facility for Public Works under Phase I and The Keene Police Headquarters under Phase II.
NCA designed Xavier High School’s addition that ties the building together and shortens travel distances between the extremes of the wings. The addition also improves utilization of the new courtyard for relaxation, education, lunching and overflow exterior decant space. The upper level of the new addition was designed to accommodate the music program and features […]
The 45,000 square foot Gilded Age mansion was divided into six residential condominiums. NCA was retained to transform four of the units into a single residence. One living area features restored formal rooms, while the other features comfortable open spaces. The central portion of the house includes the main drawing room, loggia, dining room and […]
NCA designed the high-end 43 residential unit development. The aesthetic and quality construction recall Connecticut River Valley’s architectural heritage. The community creates the sense of individual homes in a neighborhood and updates functionality with accessible design. Each unit features an accessible entry, ground floor master bedroom and bathroom.
The new 76,000SF middle school will serve 420 students and is projected to cost $25,000,000. The site is extremely complicated and involves substantial rock excavation to accommodate the facility on the existing high school Site. NCA designed the project to comply with LEED Silver. A micro-turbine system will supply the existing high school with electricity […]
NCA renovated and designed additional space for Cluny School so all Pre-K through grade eight classes could be housed in one building. The project updated the existing school to meet current codes, improved site drainage, renovated grade one through grade four classrooms and administration offices, expanded the teachers’ lounge and constructed new classrooms, art rooms, […]
NCA conducted an adaptive reuse of the mill into a 23-suite boutique hotel. The project reworked the façade to incorporate a two-story wood and glass window wall. A rear annex is distinguished by a detached clapboard façade. Many historical elements remain intact including a beam, front doors, and a cantilevered timber projecting from the building. […]
NCA’s design team created three multi-family pavilions, each with six senior housing units connected by a covered porch. Each 540-square foot apartment is a corner unit, providing access to natural light via windows. A central green provides the opportunity for socialization, while a small area for tenant gardening provides private outdoor space. A large community […]
Perry Mill was built in 1835. The landmark with open floor plans, large windows, and solid masonry construction, was among the first to be successfully adapted for mixed use. NCA transformed the mill into a timeshare resort featuring 36 suites, and commercial space for restaurant, nightclub and retail arcade. The plan called for reconstructing the […]
NCA’s design for the new 22,000 square foot facility responds to security needs and the planning and zoning commissions’ requirement for an architectural style in keeping with the town green context. The design features offices, locker and exercise rooms, holding cells, double sallyport, four-station communications system and control room. The structure was also designed to […]
First chartered in 1788 as the Governor’s Independent Volunteer Troop of Horse Guards, the unit was composed of prominent Hartford men. NCA was selected to design a new facility for the Governor’s Horse Guard. The new facility features offices, lockers, full kitchen and enclosed mounted drill area.
The Center for Marine and Nautical Sciences is a dynamic learning facility surrounded by a tidal marsh. The 7,500 square foot structure was built on the footprint of an old home. Students conduct marine biological research at the center that houses 75 tanks with controlled salt water flow-through options. This project earned the AIA/RI Honor […]
NCA’s design approach for the new residential project utilizes wood construction and steel elements. The plan combines sustainable architecture and Shingle Style touches in a pastoral setting. Working with the original footprint, connecting indoors and outdoors, incorporating Green elements and reflecting the clients’ affinity for modern art posed the greatest challenges. Sliding barn doors punctuate the facade […]
Richard Morris Hunt, the Dean of American Architecture, designed Le Chalet on Bellevue Avenue in Newport in 1870. Hunt chose the Stick Style for the 9,700 square-foot summer cottage after garnering significant attention for his Stick Style design of the Griswold House, now the NewportArt Museum. Hunt’s original plans for Le Chalet called for an […]
NCA designed the Club Acela as a prototype for station lounge renovation along the Northeast Corridor. The existing mezzanine space was subdivided into a lower lever and an upper lever four feet higher. Major existing design elements for the commercial project included an historic ornate gold-leafed coffered ceiling eighteen feet above the floor and surrounding […]
NCA designed the Admissions and Alumni Center that serves as a gateway and key component in the Campus Master Plan. The addition of plazas, courtyards, and glass entries enhance the welcoming appeal. Other amenities in the learning environment include administrative offices, counseling offices, media room, gathering spaces and work study areas.
NCA designed an art and music center for a private high school campus comprised of small buildings situated on grounds designed by Frederick Law Olmsted. The 27,000 square foot learning environment houses a 300-seat auditorium, theater, photography lab and classrooms. A brick entry vestibule, tower, cross gable roofs and continuous band of clerestory windows distinguish the facade. […]
The Dr. Reuben Mason House is hailed as one of Rhode Island’s few surviving early 18th century farmhouses. NCA conducted an existing conditions report that found the original structure intact and retaining many original features including interior finishes, doors and hardware. NCA determined the period windows’ original size and locations and reconfigured them to their […]
NCA designed the adaptive reuse of late 19th century school in the historic District into new Board of Education Offices.
Rhode Island Credit Union’s headquarters serves as a gateway to Providence’s Capital Center. NCA designed a neoclassical granite and limestone commercial structure fashioned from the existing building’s footprint. A new landscape plan featuring a gated entrance to the parking area and raised sculpture garden buffers parking and pedestrian access and enhances the classical architecture. The […]
Built in 1924 the neoclassical Hamden Town Hall has been nearly vacant for twenty years. NCA was retained to evaluate renovations to the historic town hall and consider the addition of a new police facility. This unique project required that the addition complement the original design, overlaid with the mandates of the Historic Commission. Of […]
Noted architect Bruce Price designed the Audrain Building that was constructed in Newport, Rhode Island in 1903. The commercial building represents one of four Gilded Age buildings that form an architecturally significant block on Bellevue Avenue. The three adjoining historic buildings include the Travers Block designed by Richard Morris Hunt; the Newport Casino designed by […]
The Riverfront Community Center represents Phase 1 of Glastonbury’s Riverfront Park. The design opens frontage on the Connecticut River for recreational and recycles former industrial and tank farm sites. NCA’s design reflects Glastonbury’s historical heritage and allows for future development. The 21,000SF facility offers a comprehensive program that includes classrooms, computer labs, workshops, exercise rooms, […]
Vernon Court was designed by Carrère and Hastings in 1898. NCA designed a set of As Built record drawings of the structure and worked with the client to obtain permitting and mechanical layouts for the National Museum of American Illustration. The French Chateau’s stucco edifice is remarkable for its monumental scale and beautiful gardens. The tall […]
NCA renovated the new Lila Delman Real Estate offices located in the College Hill Historic District on South Main Street in Providence, Rhode Island. The offices are housed in an historic 18th century building that had a variety of uses over the course of 200 years. Sheldon–Mauran originally purchased the parcel in 1770. The building was […]
Judicial Branch Facility was designed to expedite adjudication and sentencing for minor offenses. The design challenge was to convert a 1930s car dealership into a new facility. NCA’s investigation revealed a concrete structure with handsome cast concrete capitals on the concrete columns. The columns were repaired and incorporated into the design and are defining elements […]
This project began as a complete programming process where Town Hall employees were interviewed and a matrix was developed to determine the best department locations. The final project provided a new public meeting room, caucus and conference rooms. In addition, the existing building was reconfigured and upgraded to provide better flow for staff and operations […]
NCA designed Interlink, the Northeast’s first Intermodal Transportation Center connecting air travelers with trains, buses, passengers and rental car transportation. Interlink positions Rhode Island as a leader in sustainable development by expanding public transportation, fueling economic recovery and offering future development opportunities, placing T.F.GreenAirport among the top airports in New England’s highly competitive market. The […]
NCA improved the programming at Aquidneck Medical Center by designing a new central circulation spine featuring a continuous glazed barrel vault, relocating the main entrance adjacent to the parking lot, and adding five examination rooms. The design incorporated all the improvements within the existing foot print.
NCA created master plans and designed a new middle school utilizing environmentally-conscious and energy-saving features. The design complements existing buildings and features classroom clusters, common areas, administration areas, library and multi-purpose room. A pair of cruciform skylights infuses the central corridor with and creates an inviting learning environment. Seating niches among the lockers provide places […]
NCA has been designing solutions for over 30 years. Our diverse portfolio includes many project types such as residential
, commercial, sustainable, master plans, restoration, adaptive reuse, multi-family, boutique hotels, learning environments, municipal buildings, museums, and theaters. Please use this search feature to filter the portfolio - simply insert a project name, location or project type.